Sunday, April 24, 2011

On The Dot

I have heard a lot of people complaining about gas prices lately. Honestly, I haven’t given it much thought. People at my work are regularly quoting prices from around the country and making predictions for later this Summer. I have not once been tempted to chime in, until today.
Have you noticed with the higher prices how difficult it is to pump to the even dollar? You slide your card and put the little kickstand up on the pump. The handle clicks and you look over and it reads $38.27. I venture to guess that many of you are like me and are equally as concerned, if not more, about the $0.27 as you are the $38.
I couldn’t sleep at night if I knew that when that when that transaction posted $38.27 would be taken out. It has to be an even dollar. I don’t want to consider $0.27 when I am doing my budget. It’ll screw the whole thing up for weeks.
So, I go for the even $39. My car doesn’t necessarily need $0.73 more of gas -- my mind does. I do the pulsating grip technique to scoot my way closer to serenity.
(hard squeeze)
$38.45
(hard squeeze)
$38.67
(hard squeeze)
$38.83
(medium squeeze)
$38.94
(little squeeze)
$38.97
(little squeeze)
$38.99
(Pause)
Concentrate, Thomas! You’ve done this a thousand time. If you were a rapper your name would be Lil Squeezie.
(tiny squeeze)
$39.01 
The worst possible outcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment